Take a look around your home. Are there things that your cat can do, play with and watch?
Kitty boredom can lead to a variety of problems and destructive behaviors such as:
- Urinating outside the litter box
Preventing Cat Boredom
It is important to provide your cat with a stimulating environment. This means an environment with things to do. Windows to look out of, things to watch, places to climb and safe toys to play with are all great ways to prevent boredom.
Here are some tips to entertain your cat and prevent undesirable behavior:
- Catnip – Cats LOVE catnip. Offer your cat some catnip on occasion to roll around in and eat. You can also revive interest in an old cat toy by sprinkling it with catnip.
- Window Perches – Cats enjoy having a comfortable place to watch what is going on outside. Purchase a window bed for your cat or position a cat tree near a window to create an outside view.
- Create an Outside View – Position a bird or squirrel feeder within viewing distance of your cat’s window perch.
- Cat Toys – Make sure that you are stocked with plenty of cat toys. Hiding and then reintroducing toys that your cat enjoys is a great way to keep them interested.
- Scratching Post – Even a declawed cat will enjoy scratching post. It’s an instinctive behavior that cats never lose. The scratching post should be tall enough that your cat should be able to really stretch when using it.
- Your Time –Take at least 10 minutes out of your day to play with your cat or allow them to curl up with you.
Keep in mind that behavioral problems can be caused by many things. Be sure to take your cat for regular checkups and vaccinations. A healthy kitty is a happy kitty.