Poisonous Mushrooms to Dogs – The Toxic Mushrooms in Your Yard

In this post, we review wild mushrooms and how they can be dangerous to dogs and share a list of mushrooms poisonous to dogs.

Toxic Mushrooms Dogs WarningMushrooms grow everywhere outdoors, in our parks and our yards. 

They are especially plentiful in years when there is a lot of rain, particularly during the spring and fall seasons.

With mushrooms growing everywhere, it’s natural to ask, is it safe for my dog to eat a wild mushroom?

Many dogs will ignore mushrooms growing outdoors, but some dogs will sniff one and then grab it to eat whole. Is it safe?

Just like you’ve been warned not to just pick up any mushroom you find outdoors and pop it into your mouth, the same would go for your pet.

You should not let your dog consume a mushroom it finds outside. 

99% percent of mushrooms are harmless but that remaining 1% can be extremely dangerous, and even deadly to both humans and dogs.

Do not let your dog eat wild mushrooms!


Remove mushrooms from your yard

False Parasol mushroom is toxic to dogs

False Parasol mushroom is toxic to dogs!

It wouldn’t be a bad idea for you to check your yard for mushrooms and remove any that you do find. It’s much easier to get rid of them all than to try and identify them.

It’s difficult for the average person to identify wild mushrooms and tell the difference between safe and poisonous ones. Sometimes the differences between varieties can be very subtle.

The safest thing to do is remove any that you find and throw them in the garbage. 


What types of mushrooms are toxic to dogs?

Many dogs die every year from eating poisonous wild mushrooms. Many others are sickened by them. 

The level of sickness or danger will depend on the type of mushroom eaten by your dog and how much of it was consumed.

One of the most common mushrooms that are dangerous for your dog are those in the Amanita family of mushrooms, otherwise known as the “death cap” mushroom.

Even a small amount of an Amanita mushroom can kill your dog because it is so toxic to their liver. 

Unfortunately, this kind of mushroom can be attractive to dogs because they have a smell that can be enticing to dogs.

Amanita Phalloides - Mushroom poisonous to dogs

Amanita Phalloides – Mushroom poisonous to dogs


List of mushrooms poisonous to dogs

  • Amanita phalloides (Death Cap Mushroom)
  • Amanita Ocreata (Angel of Death)
  • Amanita Pantherina (Panther Cap)
  • Amanita muscaria (Fly Agaric)
  • Lepiota (False Parasol)
  • Galerina
  • Inocybe
  • Clitocybe
  • Gyromitra Esculenta (Beefsteak)
  • Gyromitra Caroliniana
  • Mushrooms in the Verpa genre
  • Mushrooms in the Helvella genre
  • Boletus
  • Chlorophyllum
  • Entolomo
  • Conocybe
  • Gymnopilus
  • Psilocybe
  • Panaeolus


Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Stomach pain
  • Fever
  • Weakness
  • Inactivity
  • Bleeding
  • Yellowing of the skin
  • Uncoordinated movements
  • Strong heartbeat
  • Excessive drooling
  • Seizures
  • Coma

If your dog is showing these symptoms and you believe they may have eaten a mushroom, contact your veterinarian immediately.


The Pet’s Home provides in-home pet sitting, dog sitting, cat sittingdog walkingpuppy training and pet taxi services in the Plainfield, Oswego, Aurora, Naperville, Joliet, and Shorewood area.

Contact us online or call (630) 854-8841

Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs – Pet MD
6 Poisonous Mushrooms That Are Toxic to Dogs – Pet MD
When dogs eat poisonous mushrooms: What to do? – Tractive
Mushrooms Poisonous to Pets – Petfinder
Mushroom Poisoning in Dogs – Pet MD
Are backyard mushrooms toxic to dogs? – Namyco
Can mushrooms make dogs sick? – Petfinder
What happens if your dog eats a mushroom? – AKC
Can mushrooms kill dogs? – Preventive Vet


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *