Taking care of your furry friends has many “ups”, but also a few “downs”.
One of the worst problems you may have to deal with is when your dog was outside and it comes to your door, wildly howling and barking.
You go to check what is wrong with her and you notice something right away…. THE SMELL.
Oh no. Not that smell. Your dog has been sprayed by a skunk. AHHHHHH!
In this post, we tell you what to do when your dog has been sprayed by a skunk, and give you a recipe for cleaning the skunk smell off of your dog. We also tell you a few things not to do.
What to do when your dog is sprayed by a skunk
- Keep your dog outside until they are clean.
- Check and rinse your dog’s eyes immediately.
- Don’t cuddle your dog until after you’ve cleaned them.
- Clean your dog as soon as possible. The sooner the better.
- Mix your dog cleaning solution.
- Wash and shampoo your dog.
Keep your dog outside of your living space until she is cleaned.
If your dog has just been sprayed, you will want to keep them out of your home. We’ve heard plenty of stories about panicked dogs running through the home, rolling on the carpet, jumping on couches, and spreading skunk smell to everything they touch.
Don’t give yourself an even bigger mess to clean up! Keep them outside or in the garage. People sometimes bring them in the basement, and then regret that when the scent wafts through the ceiling to every room on the first floor
Check your dog’s eyes immediately. If the eyes appear red or irritated, be sure to flush them immediately with cool water. You cannot use the same cleaning solution that you’ll use to clean their fur on their face.
Don’t cuddle your dog until they are clean. Your dog may be upset but we don’t recommend giving them a hug right now. The oil from the skunk and the smell are very easy to transfer to almost anything they touch.
Clean your dog as soon as possible. The longer the skunk spray is on your dog, the harder it will be to remove.
Mix your dog cleaning solution. The old tale of using tomato sauce to clean your dog after it was sprayed by a skunk is just a myth.
Here is an easy skunk smell removal recipe that really works:
- 1-quart hydrogen peroxide (3%)
- 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon liquid dish soap (for example Dawn dish soap)
Mix these three ingredients together in a large bowl or bucket. Once mixed, thoroughly rub it into your pet’s fur. Let it soak in for five minutes and then rinse it out with tap water. Don’t leave it in for longer or it may cause bleaching.
It’s likely that you may have to repeat this cleaning process a few more time to get rid of the smell.
After you rinsed them with the smell removal mixture, wash your pet as you normally would with pet shampoo and conditioner.
What not to do when your dog is sprayed by a skunk
- Don’t let your dog inside your living areas.
- Don’t let your dog on carpet or furniture.
- Don’t use any towels you don’t want to ruin.
- Don’t wash your dog with tomato sauce.
- Don’t use a hydrogen peroxide solution stronger than 3%.
- Don’t get the cleaning solution in your dog’s eyes.
- Don’t mix your skunk smell removal mixture ahead of time. It can lose it’s potency and could potentially become explosive.
We hope these tips help you out when you’re in a stinky situation!